Thursday, March 4, 2010

Splish, Splash, they were taking a (very fun) bath!

It was clearly bathtime at Wayne and Nancy's house last night as I entered their home. Giggles were erupting from the bathroom as Breiden and Kian splashed water at each other. Nancy stood in the doorway.
"It's just water, right?" she said.
She was doing a good job holding back from admonishing the boys from all the water spraying happening in the tub.
Me? Now in my gramma mode, I wasn't helping. I was wearing a grin at the boys' antics.
"Yep," I said. "It's just water."
Hey, Nancy, I understand your feelings. I remember, in a time frame that I like to think wasn't all that long ago (Okay, so it was. But time flies in the blink of an eye!) Well, I remember when the older two boys were knee high to grasshoppers, as they say, and they did their own share of splashing. I tried to keep the splashing to a minimum. I softly admonished. I had a towel ready to wipe up the spills on the floor and the splashes that would run down the walls.
It's a kid thing.
As we all age like fine wine (with a few wrinkles), we recall that exuberance of youth fondly, missing the days of wrapping the kids, fresh from a bath, in a soft towel and how sweet they smell. They look so different fresh from a bath, don't they?
Gone are the dirt smudges. Missing is the smear of peanut butter on their cheeks along with the kool aid mustache.
Ahhhhh. Those were the days... the days I now get to relive with the little ones.

No comments: